The Etihad Stadium will host Manchester City taking on Sheffield United in Game-week 20 of the English Premier League. City won the most recent game between the two sides and will be looking for a similar result. Sit back and relax as we and the AI predict the winner of this game at the end of 90 minutes. If you liked our content do subscribe to our daily newsletter for daily predictions.
Manchester City Recent form
Following their historic Club World Cup victory, Manchester City bounced back in the Premier League with a 3-1 comeback win over Everton at Goodison Park. Despite trailing 1-0 after a goal from former player Jack Harrison, City managed to secure the three points with goals from Phil Foden, Julian Alvarez, and Bernardo Silva. This victory propelled them back into the top four and closed the gap to five points behind leaders Liverpool. Despite defensive vulnerabilities, City have won five out of their last six games in all competitions. Their upcoming match against Sheffield United at the Etihad Stadium gives them a chance to continue their unbeaten streak, as they have not lost any of their last 11 meetings against the Blades in the Premier League, winning their last six encounters. Additionally, City have only lost their final league fixture in one out of the last 22 years.
Sheffield United Recent form
Sheffield United were on track to secure their second consecutive home win under Chris Wilder last weekend against Luton Town. Goals from Oli McBurnie and Anel Ahmedhodzic canceled out an earlier goal from Alfie Doughty. However, following their draw against Aston Villa, where they also let a winning position slip, the Blades once again surrendered their advantage to the Hatters. Two own goals from Jack Robinson and Anis Ben Slimane in the final 13 minutes turned the game around, resulting in a 3-2 defeat for Sheffield United.
This loss is their 14th of the season, leaving them rooted to the bottom of the table with only nine points from 19 matches. Despite excluding their 8-0 defeat against Newcastle, the team has conceded the most goals (47) in the Premier League this season and has failed to keep a clean sheet away from home. In previous meetings with Man City, Sheffield United has struggled but has managed to keep the scoreline close in five of their last six encounters. This gives Wilder some hope of delivering a competitive performance at the Etihad on Saturday.
Manchester City vs Sheffield United Key Stats
- League, winning the last six consecutive encounters out of a total of 11 meetings.
- Sheffield United has failed to score in all five of their Premier League away games against Manchester City, marking a persistent struggle to find the net at City’s ground.
- The history of meetings between Manchester City and Sheffield United witnesses a low-scoring trend, with only 14 goals across 11 Premier League encounters, averaging 1.3 goals per game, ranking among the fixtures with the lowest goal average in the competition.
- Sheffield United has faced considerable challenges against reigning top-flight champions, losing their last nine such league games and enduring an 11-game losing streak away from home since 1971.
- Manchester City has shown a slight vulnerability, dropping more points from winning positions at home this season than in the previous two seasons combined.
- Sheffield United continues to struggle away from home in the Premier League this season, having failed to secure a victory on the road, with a minimal goal-scoring record, only netting more than once in a single away game out of their last 39 top-flight fixtures.
AI Predicts Winner of Manchester City vs Sheffield United
We gave the stats, recent head-to-head game facts, and current form of both the teams to Natural Language processing AIs (ChatGpt and Bard), and here are the results.
“Considering Manchester City’s dominant history against Sheffield United, their consistent performance at home, and Sheffield United’s struggles both against reigning champions and away from home, Manchester City appears poised for victory. Additionally, City’s strength in maintaining winning positions at home further solidifies their advantage, suggesting a likely win for Manchester City in this fixture.”
“Despite City’s recent home slip-ups, their historical dominance over Sheffield including away scoring struggles, coupled with Sheffield’s lack of away wins and goals, point towards a comfortable City victory with limited goals.”
Our Experts Predict Winner of Manchester City vs Sheffield United
It is expected that Manchester City will be considered strong contenders to secure a win on Saturday, despite not having their star striker Haaland available, as they face a Sheffield United team that has had difficulties throughout the season in preventing goals. The Blades are aiming to provoke frustration in the home team, as they have managed to do in previous seasons. However, Manchester City is likely to find a way to break through their defense and secure a comfortable victory on this occasion.
If you like this, do give it a like and comment on your views. Thanks for stopping by.